Saturday, November 6, 2021

QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK 1 - NOV.21


Finally, I am back shooting the East-End hoping to capture as much as possible on this last stretch before Summer 2022 when this project will end for me as a photographer. Exhibitions might arise later and I would be delighted to work as a curator as we did with the group in the past. But I will stop taking pictures for that particular project of mine.


This Autumn I really wanted to photograph Stratford (again) and most especially the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. I commute almost everyday through this part of London being based further out on the Central Line and the pace of change is relentless. Being much aware of the plans few years ago and new institutions wanting to settle in the new East End Hub, it is now all taking shape very quickly. The first picture depicts the main buildings you can see as you are waiting for your train in Stratford. I have no idea what they are called but I don't really think that it is relevant. They look like plain residential construction adding up the the vertical concrete landscape.


The Olympic Park will come as 3 separate posts/walks, all performed early November 21. This post is about the Western part of the park. And, contrary to previous posts, I will try to make comments along the way, not as blocks as I used to do. You can see below a map of the area covered and my trajectory. You will see that this particular walk goes outside the Park area leaving the Greenway and going South along Wick Lane and its adjacents streets until I reached the A12.


I started my walk by taking the DLR towards Canary Wharf but getting only one stop after in Pudding Mill Lane which has always a good place to start. I noticed in the last few weeks that a new hybrid construction was taking shape just outside the station. The roof was on the grounds back then, and it has been lifted on top as I passed by recently. I still had no idea what this building was about until I started doing this post and realised on Google map that is was a new venue for the new ABBA album/digital experience...(pics 4/6) Across the road is a new temporary courtyard made of containers called Snoozebox, like you find a lot in the East End. I personally always really liked this idea even before it became a trend (pic2)


I walked Eastbound on Pudding Mill Lane and turned left on Marshgate Lane to complete a loop. Another uninspiring building has risen on the High St. (pic3)


I completed the loop and witness a lot of vacant spaces all around me, meaning more buildings to come. As I approach the station I left I take a right and start walking up the Greenway (pic5/6) That section has been reopened few months ago, or maybe a year but this area remains in limbo (pic7/8) with fencing and graffitis as a healthy reminder of rebellion.




I approach the High St. and the landscape is just filled or blocked with buildings of all shapes and sizes. The whole area is becoming cool, trendy and is filled with temporary signs of positivity (pic 9/10/11)




Leaving the Waterworks briefly to observe the changes on Warton Rd, I notice that the building in the corner with Bridgewater Rd has been restored and improved slightly, but not demolished. This building seems to be a rehabilitation centre and next to it sits a beautiful inspirational basket ball ground. A corner for sport, fun and laughter (pic12) Quite a contrast with the old/new buildings across the road that transpire sadness (pic13)



I cross the river and follow it to re-enter the Olympic Park. Temporary empty spaces, new allotments. Non-places to be transformed soon I believe (pic14/15/16)





I walk under Sidings St. On my right stands a new bi-building that opens like a book. On my left stands a massive cube that looks like an enormous computer part. It's UCL Marshgate, a lot is going on there (pic17/18/20) Some landscape gardeners doing their daily job. I had to take that picture as it looked so distant from the environment we were part of, something gloriously nostalgic!(pic19)





Walking around the new Hammers football grounds. After a difficult start in their new home they finally seem to have found a new vigour this season. Next to it sits the running track needed for the athletic events warm ups. This track has been moved and was previously behind the Greenway (pic21/22)



View from the Greenway towards Stratford (pic23)


I am walking the Greenway towards Victoria Park and I notice new buildings at the tip of the way in the corner with Wick Lane (pic24)


Looking across I can see constructions are going strong on the Fish Island side (pic25)


End of Greenway detail with graffitis on new sculptures and E-bike. Supercharged symbolism of our times (pic26)


New building on Wick Lane opposite Big Yellow Self-Storage called H45 apparently (pic27)


More buildings on Wick Lane, Waterway Building, Distillery building, Taylor Wimpey Aspext and Outfall building (pic28)



Empty land in waiting on Iceland Rd (pic29) with promising views on the Stadium! Exciting new businesses in Riverbank Business Park, off Dye House Lane (pic30/31)



Back on Wick Lane attempting to photograph a vaste area which was being boarded up by a team of young friendly professionals. This area is squeezed between Old Ford Trading Estate, the A12 and Wick Lane. Simply fascinating (pic32/33/34)



I walk all the way back to Pudding Mill Lane going through the well-known Greenway. On my left an endless burgeoning landscape, and on my right squeezed by the River Lea, a vast grey site punctuated by endless arrivals and departures or lorries being loaded by soil and gravel. The last picture is a juxtaposition of the old and the new, a constant practice of mine on that project (pic35)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment